Fire at Rogers Promenade Ruled Accidental

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

An early morning fire that caused an estimated $80,000 worth of damage at the Promenade Mall in Rogers has been ruled accidental, according to Fire Chief Tom Jenkins.

Jenkins believes the fire was caused by welding during extensive renovations at the old Borders bookstore location.

A Rogers police officer spotted the fire around 4:39 a.m. and called the fire department. Firefighters from both Rogers and Bentonville arrived around 5 a.m.

The fire chief says that there was no one there welding at that time, but crews had been working there the day before. Metal conducts head and can lead to fire hours later, according to Chief Jenkins.

The "three-alarm" fire started in the roof and was contained to the roof and decking with minimal damage. Chief Jenkins the renovations on the building will continue and no other stores at the mall were affected.

Bentonville Fire Department Chief Dan White says one engine and five firefighters with his department assisted.