Firefighters Hospitalized Battling Stilwell Flames
Photos courtesy @alleyclark on TWITTER
A former used furniture store in downtown Stilwell, Okla., was heavily damaged by fire Monday, a fire department volunteer said.
“A couple” of Stilwell firefighters were hospitalized in Stilwell with heat exhaustion but have been released, said the volunteer, retired Stilwell firefighter Larry O’Neal.
The fire began about 2:30 p.m. and was under control by about 6 p.m., O’Neal said. He said heavy equipment was at the site Monday evening to knock down the furniture store’s walls.
The store, near the corner of Division and 2nd streets, has been out of business for a while and was abandoned, O’Neal said. He said Fletcher Hardware & Furniture Co. next door to the unoccupied furniture was damaged by water from firefighters battling the fire.
No other injuries were reported, O’Neal said.