Fire Engulfs Mobile Home Near Springdale
A deaf woman lost her home Tuesday night when a fire fully engulfed her mobile home just west of Springdale.
Family members told 5NEWS that Kristy Hulsey, 32, left her home. When she returned, her house was in flames. Hulsey lost three dogs in the fire.
“She tried to open the door to get her pups out and the smoke ran her out,” said Carrie Talley, sister, who translated through sign language.
Crews from Wheeler, Wedington and Tontitown responded to the fire on Clear Water Road at about 8:30 p.m. They had the fire under control two hours later. Washington County Sheriff’s deputies and Washington County EMS were also at the scene.
There is a mobile next door that didn’t catch fire. Hulsey’s father-in-law Gerald Hines, who has Alzheimer’s, made it out fine, and his granddaughter Amber Hines said he’s in shock.
“My grandpa, I was worried about him the most. I was scared he got caught in the fire,” Amber Hines said.
Other friends and family members were also on the scene showing support.
“It was numb because you don’t know what to think. You never think it’s going to happen to anyone you know,” Shana McDowell, friend of the family, said.
The property owner said the air conditioning unit may have caused the fire, and the unit was not properly installed. Power poles near the home were also on fire.
The home is a total loss.
“Unfortunately, we don’t feel like there was much we could do for the property,” said John Luther, with the Washington County EMS.
Firefighters also fought the heat and humidity, which is a challenge for them this time of year, according to Luther.
In the initial response, firefighters were delayed because of low power lines above the structure.
“For the safety of the firefighters, we limited our operations to the southside of the structure until Ozarks Electric could respond,” Luther said.
Hulsey stayed with her sister Carrie Talley Tuesday night after her home was destroyed.