Arkansas Needs to Get Pressure on Texas A&M’s Dual Threat Quarterback
Dead last in turnover margin and 107th in total defense the Hogs won’t get any help this weekend from Texas A&M’s offense. The Aggies are averaging 462 total yards a game, 300 of that comes from their dual threat quarterback Johnny Manziel. Manziel is just a redshirt freshman but he is the heart of the Texas A&M offense. He runs it just as well as he throws it. Manziel leads the team in rushing yards (262) and rushing touchdowns (5).
Arkansas is intent on getting pressure on Manziel quickly so he doesn’t have time to dump the ball off run for a big gain. This week in practice the Hogs defense has been intent on getting a good push with the defensive line. Tenarius Wright has been moving back and forth from defensive end to linebacker. Expect him to play multiple positions on Saturday.
Here are the tidbits from Wednesday’s press conference with the defense:
Defensive Coordinator Paul Haynes:
1. Texas A&M QB is a good scrambler, can make guys miss on the run. Team knows he is heart of the team and when he scrambles they need to contain and be discipline.
2. Tenarius Wright is a versatile player and depending on the offense they will face, he may be moved around a lot this year.
3. Arkansas can get pressure with their front four but it’s the secondary that needs to work on coverage and make the QB go through his reads.
4. The team will need to pressure the QB to force turnovers but a lot of it will come from gang tackling, striping the ball and challenging routes.
Defensive End Tenarius Wright:
1. Has been switching from linebacker to defensive end aot….comfortable playing multiple positions. Chris Smith and Colton Ash are doing the same thing, part of the game.
Cornerback Kaelon Kelleybrew
1. Loss hurt but there is no give up in this team, they will come together and play as a family
Linebacker Terrell Williams:
1. A&M likes to pass the ball and with the mobile QB, they will focus on containing him.
2. Big game for the Hogs, all the team knows it, season is not over and they want to get the ball rolling.