Part Time Weekend News Assignment Editor
Purpose Purpose/reason for this Position:
5NEWS is looking for a competitive news editor to work weekends in our Fayetteville newsroom and cover Northwest Arkansas news. Our weekend Assignment Editor is in charge of the weekend newsgathering and operations for our Northwest Arkansas news team. We’re looking for a news hound who knows how to look beyond the press releases, get information quickly and dig up stories. The Assignment Editor will gather news, make assignments, deal with logistics and write news stories for on-air and online. This is gathering news and information for a full team of competitive journalists doing news on two stations (including the top rated station in the market). Curiosity is a must. You must be a motivated self-starter who is willing to hustle and to develop enterprise stories. We are looking for someone who is persistent and won’t give up when calls aren’t returned.
Core Job Functions:
- Follow the news. Keep up-to-date and be knowledgeable about general developments and trends in the viewing area and ensure that new story ideas are generated for use in all newscasts.
- Don’t miss stories, and be aggressive when news breaks.
- Must be willing to use social media to break news and post stories and information to the website.
- Monitor breaking news, and make decisions about how to cover big stories, including allocating news resources.
- Develop news contacts, and know who to call and how to get information quickly.
- Contribute story ideas and assign reporters and photographers to stories.
- Coordinate work between reporters, photographers, editors and producers.
- Handle special projects assigned by the News Director and Managing Editor.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule depending on news events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
One year experience in news reporting or gathering. Must be able to type and use a computer. This job requires listening to police scanners constantly. Must possess a valid State Driver’s License (or be able to get one).
A journalism degree or equivalent is preferred and/or one year work experience.
The ability to lift up to 20 pounds of materials consisting of books, videotapes, etc. Ability to drive news vehicles.
Statement about Other Duties:
The foregoing is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all functions essential to the job for which the employee is responsible, nor an exhaustive list of the minimum requirements and specifications necessary to perform the essential functions, including all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different functions be performed when circumstances change or exigencies require it.
Send your resume, application and references to Rick Bagley, News Director, KFSM-TV/KXNW-TV, 4201 North Shiloh Drive, Suite 169, Fayetteville, AR 72703 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
KFSM-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer