Gentry Family Displaced As Home Lost In Fire
A fire destroyed a home on East First Street in Gentry early Sunday, displacing the family –Mike, Grace, Kevin and Megan Parish, said Gentry Fire Chief Vester Cripps.
The call came in around 3:50 a.m., Cripps said Sunday.
Jeri Peachee said she looked out her bathroom window to see her next-door neighbor’s home engulfed in flames.
“The fire was just blazing out of the top, and the firemen were just all over trying to get it under control,” Peachee said.
Cripps said only the father, Mike, a volunteer firefighter in Gentry, was at home when the fire started, but was able to escape without injury.
The mother, Grace, and their two children were out of town visiting family in Texas, officials said.
It took fire crews one hour to get it under control, but firefighters temporarily remained at the site to check for hot spots.
Vester said an electrical problem caused by the clothes dryer sparked the fire.
After hearing about the fire, Brent Barker, a family friend, went shopping for some essentials.
“We thought we might as well help them because this is a great family,” Barker said. “We got them a couple pairs of pants and some shirts. Anything would be good because they don’t have anything right now.”
Neighbors and friends told 5NEWS the family is staying with nearby relatives.
A local woman is collecting donations for the family. Anything is welcome, but she recommends donating clothes, food or toiletries such as toothpaste, soap and toilet paper.
Donations can be dropped off at 202 S. Virginia St., officials said.
Son – 32×34 pants and large shirt
Mom – 15/16 regular pants and XL shirt
Dad – 32×32 pants and large shirt
Daughter – 11/12 regular pants and large shirt