Saturday afternoon Ole Miss will run an offense similar to the one Texas A&M used to obtain multiple school records and gash the Hogs defense for 716 yards and 58 points. But before you make your "cringe face", it's important to realize Ole Miss won't have the playmakers Texas A&M had, specifically at quarterback.
Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace is not A&M QB Johnny Manziel and his stats prove it. The sophomore is averaging 2.8 yards per rush and has been an average passer. But Arkansas is using this as an opportunity to prove they can finally stop a mobile quarterback and an up-tempo offense.
The defense met with the media Wednesday to discuss:
Defensive Coordinator Paul Haynes:
- The defensE has been taking many reps against the option offense in practice and will continue to until game time.
- Wide receiver Donte Moncrief of Ole Miss will be someone the defense must be aware of at all times.
- Haynes believes Ole Miss has a faster offense than Texas A&M and the defense must be on their toes.
Defensive End Trey Flowers
- Flowers knows that the Ole Miss QB can move around but they will have to be disciplined in their gaps while still pressuring the QB
Defensive End Chris Smith:
- The fast tempo isn't easy to keep up with but they will rotate a lot to keep fresh
- Smith believes that Ole Miss is about the same as Texas A&M in terms of tempo and they will be ready for that.
- The defense wants to get out on the field and prove they can stop this type of offense.