Funeral Held for Barling Police Chief

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Barling Police Chief Marshall Tracy Powell was laid to rest Wednesday morning at the Fort Smith National Cemetery.

"It's a sad day in law enforcement," said Investigator Jerry Foley with the Barling Police Department. "It's a sad day in this community."

Chief Powell died of bone cancer on Nov. 18 at Sparks Hospital.

More than 100 law enforcement officials from surrounding cities and counties, family and friends attended the service at St. Boniface on North B Street in Fort Smith.

Sgt. Brandon Davis of the Greenwood Police Department said Chief Powell was known for being a dependable officer.

“You could call up Tracy at 2 o’clock in the morning if you had something going on, and he’d get out of bed and be one of the first guys there," said Sgt. Davis. "He would beat anyone else there because he loved his job, he loved helping the community - and not just the community of Barling, but the whole area.”

Chief Powell was not only a dedicated officer, he was also a caring friend.

"When my son died, Tracy was one of the first ones there," said Crawford Co. Drug Task Force Coordinator Lanny Reese. "He stayed with me, mowed my yard, trimmed my trees. I don't think I would have made it through without him."

Lt. Darrel Miner is filling the role as acting police chief. Chief Powell had been battling cancer for the past two months, according to Lt. Miner.

Chief Powell began working for the city of Barling in May 1994 as a dispatcher. Powell was appointed chief in November 2008.

An avid hunter and fisherman, Powell recently married Kyla Payton on Sept. 15, according to Miner.

A memorial has been set up at the Cooper Cancer Care Center in Chief Powell’s honor.
Donations can be made:
Attn: Joyce Long
P.O. Box 3528
Fort Smith, AR 72913

Click here to read more about Powell's life and role at the Barling Police Department.