Pregnant Woman Shot By Husband As Child Watches, Police Say

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Sequoyah County pregnant woman who police say was shot in the chest by her husband is out of surgery and remained in critical condition Monday night.

A family member told 5NEWS doctors are keeping Shayna Stahl, 22, in a drug-induced coma.

Authorities arrested the woman's husband  in connection with the shooting that left Stahl in a Tulsa hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Raymond StahlRaymond Stahl, 26, was arrested on suspicion of shooting with intent to kill, felon in possession of a firearm and child endangerment. He has previously been convicted of possession of a controlled dangerous substance, according to the Sequoyah County Sheriff's Office.

The shooting victim was taken by helicopter to a Tulsa hospital because of Shayna Stahl's life-threatening injuries. Sequoyah County deputies later declared Raymond Stahl the suspected shooter.

Deputies said the woman was shot inside a home off of Highway 59 on Monday. Emergency responders found her on the front lawn, with the couple's 11-month-old child standing over the woman.

"The child was grasping her mother," said Sheriff Ron Lockhart. Deputies took the child to a neighbor's house while they tended to the mother. The child watched on as Shayna Stahl was shot, according to the Sheriff's Office.

The couple had been arguing Monday, according to the Sheriff's Office.

“We've tried preventing it, from him doing this,” said William Brown, a neighbor.

Brown says he heard his neighbor calling for help Monday.

“I was over at the neighbor's house and her screaming and hollering call the cops I've been shot,” he said.

Neighbors say the husband threatened people in the past. “He said that he would shoot us if we stepped out,” said Brown.

The Sheriff's Office responded to the call at 12:17 p.m. and found the woman with a single gunshot wound to the upper torso.

Deputies said the couple have been separated for several weeks.

A family member told 5NEWS the victim had been staying at her mother's house, and her husband had been threatening her for months.

“She wanted to get the baby away from it,” said Genene Brown, a neighbor. “That way nothing like this would happen, but it kept following her.”

Neighbors say Raymond wasn’t supposed to be at the house.

“He'd always manage when she was at work, everybody was gone, he'd just show up,” said Genene.