Man Sustains Burns in Apartment Grease Fire
A Fayetteville man sustained burns to his hands and arms after a cooking fire at Mountain Home Ranch apartments on North Coral Canyon Loop on Sunday night.
Fayetteville Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the second-floor apartment at approximately 7:47 p.m. but the fire had been all but extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system by the time firefighters arrived, an official said. The apartment sustained fire, smoke and water damage that was mostly confined to the kitchen.
Officials said the occupant was apparently cooking or preparing to cook some chicken on the stove when the grease in a skillet ignited. The man tried to take the skillet outside of the apartment and was burned when he threw the flaming skillet, officials said.
The man was taken to Washington Regional Medical Center with what appeared to be mild-to-moderate first- and second-degree burns, an official said.