150 Allens Canning Jobs Moving to NWA
Approximately 150 jobs at Allens, Inc. canning in Van Buren will be moved to Northwest Arkansas when the canning company consolidates that location with its Siloam Springs operation.
The change takes place March 1, according to James Phillips, Vice President of Corporate Services for Allens, Inc.
“It’s devastating for a lot of people,” said Jerry Ridenour, a Crawford County resident. “Nobody has any job security anymore.”
People in Van Buren are concerned about the economic impact. “It’s gonna hurt the community quite a bit,” said Robin Garrett, a Crawford County resident. “You know I mean that’s less income for all the shops and stuff like that around here.”
The Van Buren plant will continue to process hominy, refried beans and snack foods for an undetermined time in the future, a news release states. The Central Warehouse Allens local distribution center will remain operational as well.
Allens, Inc., will work with local job placement services and the state to assist the affected employees, Phillips said.
- Driver In Fatal Boat Crash Consumed Beer, Tequila, Drugs, Report States
- POLICE: Suspicious Items at Bentonville Motel a 'Mystery'
- Names of Oklahoma Tornado Casualties Released
- Capital Murder Arrest Made In Fayetteville Man's Carjacking Death
- National Weather Service Confirms 2 Tornadoes Hit Northwest Arkansas