Country music legend George Jones died Friday, April 26th at the age of 81. He had been in the hospital since earlier this month suffering from a fever and irregular blood pressure. During his 81 years he not only greatly influenced country music, but embodied the genre: heartache, tough times, and a little country fun mixed in.
Many are familiar with the hits which made him a familiar name such as “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” “Golden Ring,” and “White Lightening,” as well as his struggles with dependency including alcohol and drugs.
A man in the spotlight, here are 10 things you may not know about George Jones, as compiled by funtrivia.com and AARP.
1. George Jones was born as a 12 pound baby, and breech. Reports indicate a doctor had to break his arm to deliver him.
2. George Jones’ attached his name to two products-dog food and sausage. The dog food was produced by Sunshine Mills, the sausage was his own.
3. George Jones served in United States Marine Corps~during which he sang in bars close to his California base.
4. Frank Sinatra Dubbed Jones as “the second best singer in the world.”
5. Jones’ signature song, “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” he deemed morbid and thought it would be a flop.
6. Jones had four wives during his life.
7. Jones had a daughter, named Georgette, which he sang a duo with.
8. Jones was admitted into a psychiatric hospital in the 1970s in Alabama after a near-death experience with substance abuse.
9. His nickname-“The Possum”
10. Jones had 14 Number One Hits.