3-Year-Old Child Struck By Car; Driver Faces DWI Charge
A Springdale woman faces a charge of driving while intoxicated after an accident left a 3-year-old boy with serious injuries late Friday night.
Springdale police responded to a call about an injured child, who was reported struck at 11:59 p.m. Friday night on South Thompson Street. Officers said a child was at a fast food restaurant when his mother said she lost sight of him.
The boy ran in the street where he was struck by a car driven by Maria Orta, 21. Orta told officers she was in the inside lane of Thompson when she thought she had hit something so she stopped her vehicle, got out and saw the boy on the ground.
The boy was taken to Northwest Medical Center before being flown to Children’s Hospital in Little Rock. Police said he has multiple injuries including bleeding in his brain, a lacerated liver and a broken femur.
Police said Orta admitted drinking alcohol prior to the accident and was taken into custody after a field sobriety test. Officers said Orta registered a .15 on a breathalyzer test administered.
Springdale police said they are still investigating the accident.
- Police: Fayetteville Man Raped 2 Year Old, Recorded It On Phone
- Former Rogers Doctor Accused In Patient Nude Photo Scandal
- Neighbors Concerned about Safety Near Van Buren Gun Range
- Treasurer Apologizes After Arrest In $94,000 Church Embezzlement Case
- Siloam Mom Accused Of Lifting Daughter By Neck, Swinging Her Side-To-Side