Propane Tank Explodes, Fire Collapses Fayetteville Roof


A fire in northern Fayetteville melted part of a house’s roof off after a propane tank exploded, but everyone inside made it out unharmed.

The house at 4283 Meadow View Drive in Fayetteville seemed to sustain severe damage to at least its second floor and attic. Firefighters burst through the home’s wooden fence with an ax to reach the house. Dozens of firefighters were still working to contain the flames after 9 p.m.

“We had an additional unit that added about 25 people on scene, including the commander,” said Battalion Chief Mauro Campos.

A fire truck was propped up near the house, to allow a ladder to make it to the home. The Fayetteville Fire Department and Central Emergency Medical Services responded to the fire call at about 7:45 p.m.

“We are looking for hidden fires, just making sure the fire is completely out, we also have investigators on scene so there’s a lot of extra work that’s going on to make sure the fire is completely out,” Campos said.

Central EMS did not transport anyone to the hospital, according to EMS personnel.

The Phipps ran outside their home after the explosion.

“When we got out, we saw the smoke, it was the propane tank. We were scared that if we got to close it might explode,” said Billy Phipps.

His wife Vanessa Phipps said, “When I went to the back the propane tank had caught fire. It went to the top of the roof, it was starting to get in the house so they called the fire department.”

Neighbors lined up along the street to watch the firefighters work on the home. They said they are pulling together to help the affected family.

“We’re all pretty close,” Phipps said. “They just moved in not too long ago.”

The fire marshal is still investigating.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 595 other followers