Registered Sex Offender Accused of Attacking Child Near Pope County School
A registered sex offender was arrested Monday evening after he allegedly tried to choke and sexually assault a child near Atkins High School in Pope County.
Michael D. Buchanan, 26, of Conway County, is facing charges of battery second degree, sexual indecency with a child, fleeing and resisting arrest. Buchanan is a registered level 2 sex offender in Conway County, according to the sheriff’s office.
Buchanan is accused of trying to sexually assault and choke the child near the high school. Police were called to the scene around 3:30 p.m. Monday, after the child managed to get away.
Buchanan was caught on security cameras talking to the child. Atkins police officers and sheriff’s deputies identified the suspect from the video and attempted to find him at his place of employment. The man ran away, but was taken into custody a short time later.
Buchanan will appear before District Judge Don Bourne Wednesday morning for a probable cause/bond hearing in Pope County circuit court.
- Police: Fayetteville Man Raped 2 Year Old, Recorded It On Phone
- Former Rogers Doctor Accused In Patient Nude Photo Scandal
- Missing Albuquerque Teen Found In Fort Smith
- Treasurer Apologizes After Arrest In Church Embezzlement Case
- Siloam Mom Accused Of Lifting Daughter By Neck, Swinging Her Side-To-Side