Manhunt For Bus Driver In Sex Sting Locks Down School
An elementary school in Greenwood was locked down Tuesday afternoon while police looked for a 72-year-old former school bus driver, who allegedly ran from authorities during an undercover child sex sting, according to police.
Police said the suspect, Johnny Carter, thought he was meeting a teenage girl when he saw police and took off on foot, according to Fort Smith Police Sgt. Daniel Grubbs.
Westwood Elementary was locked down while police searched for the suspect, authorities said. At least Greenwood police and Fort Smith police were aiding in the search.
School let out at its usual time of 3:05 p.m. during the lockdown, but students were not allowed to walk home, according to the school district. All students released from school were either taken home by bus or picked up, according to the district’s central office.
Carter was wanted by authorities on a petition to revoke his bond concerning an original charge of fourth-degree sexual assault.
Carter, who was a school bus driver, was arrested late last year in Fort Smith after allegedly sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl. He was arrested at the time on suspicion of fourth degree sexual assault.
While awaiting trial, Fort Smith police investigators received information that Carter was still in contact with the girl. The Sebastian County Prosecutor’s Office was notified, and a warrant for Carter’s arrest was issued, according to the Fort Smith Police Department.
Investigators were conducting surveillance of a potential pre-planned meeting at the Greenwood Walmart between Carter and the girl, when Carter fled the area to avoid being arrested, Fort Smith police said.
Anyone with any information on where Carter might be is encouraged to call the Fort Smith Police Department at 479-709-5100.
Stay with 5NEWS for more information as it becomes available.