Accused Machete Killer’s Murder Trial Set

Murder Suspect: Gregory Aaron Kinsey

Murder Suspect: Gregory Aaron Kinsey

A trial date has been set for the Fort Smith murder suspect accused of killing two men with a machete in June, according to the Sebastian County Circuit Clerk’s Office.

The murder trial of Gregory Aaron Kinsey, 20, is set for Feb. 10. Jury selection is scheduled for Feb. 6 and 7, according to the circuit clerk’s office.

Sebastian County Prosecutor Daniel Shue announced last month he would be seeking the death penalty in the case. Kinsey is accused of attacking and killing two men, Nathan Young and Brandon Prince, with a machete in Fort Smith on June 26.  Kinsey is charged with two counts of capital murder.

In a letter to the circuit clerk’s office announcing his intentions, Shue states the sufficiency of the evidence linking the defendant to the offense, the seriousness of the offense, the defendant’s culpability, and the defendant’s criminal record as factors in why he feels the death penalty is appropriate.

According to court documents, Kinsey said he was walking back from the Dollar Store when he was confronted by three people. Kinsey and the victims exchanged words and Kinsey pulled out a machete to warn them, the documents state.

Kinsey told police he didn’t think the men would let him go so he started swinging the machete, striking and killing two of them.

“The death penalty is definitely what needs to be done,” said Pamela Hearne, whose son Prince, was killed in the attack. “He killed my son, he killed Nate, and it just kills me. I mean I don’t sleep at night.”

Prince and Young were with Maynard on June 26 during the attack. Maynard is the only survivor.

“I just try not to relive it,” Maynard said. “Nothing’s going to bring my friends back. So I mean I have rough nights and rough days. I just try to cope with it as best as I can.”

Maynard says he feels the death penalty is appropriate in this case.

“To have a massacre done like that to me, I really hope he does have justice served.”

5NEWS did reach out to Kinsey’s mother for reaction, but she declined to comment. The suspect is still being held at the Sebastian County Detention Center without bond.

Click here for more coverage of this case.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 508 other followers