Good Neighbor Alerts Family their House is On Fire
A fire on 1306 North 31st street in Rogers left the house with extensive damage Saturday (Sept. 21). The Esparza family who lived there is staying at a hotel and neighbors said an insurance agent is expected to look at the home Monday.
Rogers Fire Chief Tom Jenkins said a fire investigator determined it was an electrical fire that started on the south side wall of the home. He said the investigator said there was an electrical wire secured by a staple that seems to be the point of origin of the fire.
Theresa Gilliland drove by when she saw smoke. She then stopped, saw a man outside who called 911 and decided to check if anyone was inside. She found the mom, daughter and their dog were inside the residence when the fire started.
“It was like a 30 second thing but I pounded on the door, checked if it was unlocked and I just went right in,” Gilliland said.
One neighbor said Adrian and Mercedes Esparza live at the home with their two daughters and French Poodle.
“Their ceiling was covered in smoke and they didn’t even know that there was a fire,” Gilliland said.
Fire Chief Jenkins said they estimated about $100,000 worth of damage.
Gilliland said, “I think all of their belongings are going to be OK unless they had stuff in the attic, the garage and whatever is on that side of the shed is gone obviously.”
Jessica Hacket lives a few houses down from where the fire happened. She said watching the family was heartbreaking.
“The family was so hysterical, so I feel really sorry for them,” Hackett said.
Hacket said most neighbors witnessed the firefighters fighting the flames.
“Most of it was in the attic up top so most of the flames were inside and then just a lot of smoke coming out,” Hackett said.
Hackett said it’s fortunate Gilliland saw smoke and stopped.
“It could have been a bad deal, someone could’ve gotten hurt if they hadn’t told them,” Hackett said.
There were no reported injuries. The call came in at 11:45 a.m. It took 23 Rogers Firefighters to put the fire out. The fire was under control at 12:35 p.m. Personnel remained on scene until 2 p.m. to watch for hot spots.