5NEWS Fit: Gaining Confidence
Believe it or not, the top reasons people don’t go to the gym is because they’re out of shape or overweight. The gym can be an intimidating place to exercise.
Texas teen Mary Catherine is like a lot of kids these days; struggling to lose weight. She changed schools after being bullied and ended up learning about a gym called Downsize Fitness. For this gym, you have to be at least 50 lbs. overweight to join. It also has a free nonprofit program for obese teens called Downsize for Life.
“People don’t judge, I mean maybe they do a little but everyone is overweight and people are encouraging and loving and they are like my own family,” said Catherine.
The seven month program focuses on fitness, nutrition, lifestyle choices, and community.
If you don’t have gym experience, it may help to workout in a fitness class. Trainers can often show you things individually and will help ensure you’re doing a workout with the correct form.
- Mom Bites Off Dog's Ear To Save Daughter During Attack
- State And Federal Agents Raid Springdale Home For Meth: Three Arrested
- Teen Sought In Connection With Destroying Crash Evidence Arrested
- Driver Was Drinking Before Deadly Motorcycle Wreck, Police Say
- Police: Fayetteville Man Raped 2 Year Old, Recorded It On Phone