Toy Gun Suspect In Police Shooting Found Unfit For Trial

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Huntsville man who drew shots from Springdale officers while allegedly carrying a toy gun is mentally unfit to stand trial and must undergo mental health treatment, a Washington County judge has ruled.

Rainbow Kilo Rasphoumy was ordered by Washington County Circuit Court Judge William Storey to be transported to the Arkansas State Hospital in Little Rock for treatment, rather than stand trial on charges of third-degree assault, resisting arrest and terroristic threatening for allegedly taking part in a police shooting in June.

The ruling comes one month after Rasphoumy’s trial was delayed to make time for a mental evaluation to be carried out on the suspect, according to court records.

Public defender Tony Pirani submitted a notice to the Circuit Court in August, stating the defense sought to show Rasphoumy is unfit to stand trial in the case.

Rasphoumy was arrested June 12 on suspicion of felony assault, terroristic threatening and resisting arrest. He was booked into the Washington County Detention Center on $10,000 bond, according to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputy prosecuting attorney Matt Durrett said Rasphoumy could have faced up to six years in prison and a $10,000 fine for terroristic threatening.

“He pointed what appeared to be a real gun at five officers,” Durrett told 5NEWS last month. “So therefore, it’s one count for each officer.”

Police said he pointed a toy gun at officers outside the Walmart Neighborhood Market at 3553 E. Robinson Ave. in Springdale before barricading himself in a van. An officer fired seven shots, with each shot hitting the van, police said.

Earlier that day, police said Rasphoumy’s niece called and said he had been outside her home for about an hour. She said the man had mental problems and often bothers her, according to a 911 call.

Police said she provided a description of his van, which officers later tried to stop at Robinson Avenue and Butterfield Coach Road, authorities said. Police said he pulled into the Walmart parking lot.

Rasphoumy got out of the van at the officer’s request, according to a police report, but soon became uncooperative and got back in the vehicle.

Police said he grabbed an object similar to a flute and raised it above his hands as if he were going to hit the officers. The police report states Rasphoumy attempted to kick the officers, and they used a Taser on him, but that did not stop him.

Rasphoumy pulled what appeared to be a handgun on them, police said. Officers attempted take cover, but while on the move, one officer fired seven shots at the van, the report states.

Rasphoumy was not hit. He barricaded himself in the van, eyewitnesses said. No one else was in the van, police said.

Rasphoumy was taken into custody about 9 a.m. after talking with police negotiators, authorities said.

Investigators told 5NEWS they recovered a black plastic toy gun that resembled a snub-nose revolver, three chickens, two ducks and three parakeets from the van. The birds were all alive, officials said.

Investigators later recovered a loaded .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun, an ax and other weapons from the van, according to police.

No injuries were reported.

The officer who fired the shots was placed on administrative leave after the shooting, as per protocol, but returned to work a few weeks later.