BLOG: Unique Excuses For Calling In Sick
Have you ever taken a “mental health day?” An article in Forbes released a new study conducted by CareerBuilder which found 32% of professional adults called in sick when they actually were not.
The survey found some very unique excuses including:
- One employee said he couldn’t make it to work because his false teeth flew out the window while driving down the highway.
- One coworker said she bit her tongue and couldn’t talk.
- One worker claimed he got lost on his way in and ended up in another state.
- One employee said she just couldn’t decide what to wear that day.
- One employee said she received a threatening phone call from the electric company and needed to report it to the FBI.
- Another worker said he couldn’t make it in because a swarm of bees surrounded his car.
CareerBuilder also categorized the most common reasons employees take a sick day finding:
- They just don’t feel like going. (33%)
- They felt like they needed to relax . (28%)
- They had a doctor’s appointment. (24%)
- They wanted to catch up on sleep. (19%)
- They had errands to do. (14%)