Carbon Monoxide Leak Forces Evacuation At Springdale School

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Students at Central Junior High School in Springdale were moved to a part of the campus away from a carbon monoxide leak at the school early Monday (Nov. 25), officials said.

The Springdale Fire Department responded to the school at 2811 W. Huntsville Ave., about 8:30 a.m. after it was reported that a natural gas odor could be detected on the campus, said Tamekia Brown, principal.

Officials determined that the odor was caused by small carbon monoxide leak created by an exhaust pipe that somehow had become disconnected from a fresh-air intake system, Brown said.

“It becomes important at point 9 and I think it was at point 5,” Jared Cleveland, Springdale School District deputy superintendent, said. “We wanted to make sure that we got the kids out and put them in a safe environment over in the Lowes room.”

The school had new heating and air units installed last summer, according to Cleveland.

The leak was in the northwest part of the building. Students were moved to the east part of the campus.

After the leak was repaired, student returned to classes by about 9:30 a.m., officials said.

No injuries were reported.