Firefighters Rescue Dogs In House Fire; Another Dog Died, One Missing
Firefighters battling a house fire in Springdale rescued three dogs early Tuesday (Dec. 10). One dog died in the fire, and another one is missing, Division Chief Jim Vaughan said.
The family members residing at the house were not home at the time of the incident, Vaughan said.
Chealsie Warren said she was outside when she saw flames. She said she then rushed to her aunt Jamie who called police.
“I went over knocked on the door and nobody came just the dog and I wasn’t going to open,” Warren said. “A few minutes later everyone showed up and took care of it.”
Firefighters rescued three dogs from the burning home. They placed oxygen masks on at least two dogs and even used IVs to treat them.
“I feel better but at least hopefully the dogs are OK and the family didn’t lose too much,” Warren said.
The home at 1013 Porter Road caught fire around 8:20 a.m., officials said. The fire started in a bedroom and spread to a second bedroom before firefighters could douse the blaze, Vaughan said.
“They found fire coming out of two bedroom windows and looks like they made a fairly quick attack on the fire and controlled it back to a couple of rooms in the structure,” Vaughan said.
Porter Road is extremely icy and firefighters had to battle the fire under those conditions.
“Might have been a couple of firefighters take a fall in the day out here but otherwise just a little extra caution,” Vaughan said. “It didn’t hamper anything this morning fortunately.”
The pets have been taken by Springdale Animal Control until the homeowners can reclaim their pets, officials said.