Family Recovering After Fire Destroys Home, Kills Dog
A dog died in a Muldrow, Okla., house fire Tuesday that left the family no place to live on Christmas Eve. Now the family is left picking up the pieces.
The Sequoyah County home is a total loss following the fire. The family members inside were able to make it out uninjured, along with some pets. One dog named Bebop, though, died in the fire, the family told 5NEWS.
Billy and Virgie Wann were inside the home Tuesday, when they smelled smoke. Virgie tried to open the front door, but was burned when she made contact with the door knob, she said. The family then fled the home from a different exit.
“If we would have been asleep, we would have been dead,” said Virgie.
A fire had started at the front of the home, from the outside. Virgie said she the fire started from the family’s burn bin, which was located near the side of the house.
Virgie said this Christmas has been heartbreaking, especially for her two sons.
“We had actually done our Christmas last weekend with the kids,” she said. “We had gave them their stuff, and so they got to play with it for a little bit. And now it`s gone.”
The family is staying at a local motel courtesy of the local chapter of the American Red Cross. After three days, though, the couple will need to find a new place to live, Virgie Wann said.
She said the couple is planning to stay with family members in the short term. All of the family’s possessions were lost in the fire. The home is not insured, Virgie said.