Bentonville Sisters Killed In Missouri Wreck Day After Christmas

Posted on: 1:55 pm, December 27, 2013, by , updated on: 12:01am, December 30, 2013

Two Bentonville sisters were killed on Thursday (Dec. 26) when a pickup slammed into their family van, overturning it in McDonald County, Mo., according to a Missouri State Highway Patrol crash report.

Katelyn M. Boxx, 16, and Bethany J. Boxx, 20, were pronounced dead at the scene by McDonald County Coroner B.J. Goodwin at the 2:45 p.m. accident on U.S. 71 in Pineville, Mo., the report states. Their bodies were taken to Ozark Funeral Home in Anderson, Mo.

The Boxx family said focus has been put on making sure Gracen is OK and funeral arrangements may start Monday (Dec. 30).

The surviving sister of the accident, Gracen V. Boxx, 18, was hospitalized with serious injuries at Freeman West Hospital in Joplin, Mo.

Her aunt, Sandy Tompkins of Kansas, said Gracen was taken off a ventilator on Saturday (Dec. 28) and has made “great breakthroughs,” but remains in the intensive care unit because of a “shattered” right leg.

Bentonville High School, where the sisters had gone to school, will have grief counselors on hand when students and faculty return early next month from the winter holiday break, said Michael Poore, superintendent.

The driver of the 2000 Toyota Sienna van, David L. Boxx, 51, was hospitalized with moderate injuries at Mercy Hospital in Rogers, Ark., the report states. Tompkins said David has been unemployed for about a year.

Janet M. Boxx, 50, was hospitalized with minor injuries at Mercy Hospital in Rogers, Ark.

Also, O’Rane G. Williams, 21, of Conway, Ark., was taken by helicopter to Mercy Hospital in Springfield, Mo., with moderate injuries, the report states. Tompkins said Williams is in Conway recovering.

The accident happened when a 2002 Dodge Ram driven by Troy C. Robbins, 19, of Pineville, Mo., changed lanes in front of a 2013 Chevrolet 2500 pickup driven by Roger D. Wilson, 47, of Muldrow, Okla. Their vehicles were traveling north on U.S. 71, the report states.

After the Dodge Ram changed lanes in front of the Chevrolet, the Chevrolet struck the Dodge Ram in the rear. The Dodge Ram then crossed the center of the roadway and struck the van on the driver’s side.  At impact, the van, which had been going southbound, traveled off the right side of the roadway and overturned, the report states.

The Dodge Ram and Chevrolet received “extensive” damage, but the drivers were not hospitalized, according to the report.

Photo Gallery Expand 1 of 6
Submit Your Photo

• JR Gibbs says:

I am so sorry. Heart breaking.

• Alisha Cottrell says:

GOD BLESS THEM ALL..My heart brakes for them..My God Walk Hand And Hand With You and Yours and those affected through life to ease you pain….R.I.P. Sister GODS SPEED !!

• Sarah says:

My heart goes out to this family. Sympathy and prayer for the family.
    Beautiful young ladies gone much too soon. Your hometown mourns with you. Godspeed.

• Mark Smith says:

No, he really doesn’t. He loves us more than we can imagine.

• happyme says:

@Parrot Sarnoso ..Honestly Parrot, good comes from God. Bad comes from the devil. If you are good, the devil hates you. This family has lost 2 beautiful daughters whom they loved dearly, almost as much as Jesus loves us! I pray for their remaining daughter to pull through and for the rest of the family near or far as they go through this new adjustment.

• Robin says:

So very sorry, Jesus will take care of your family until we all meet again, God loves you and your family, The heavenly family will take care of yours. Our prayers are to your family. please know that even though we don’t know each other, my prayers will be heard. I lost my mom 3 years ago and the pain is still there, but I know God is taking care of here and her cancer is not hurting her. The pain will always be there, just keep in mind They are looking down at you, having a good time and not hurting. The girls love you. They are in the arms of Jesus……..surrounded by love and comfort…. you have a beautiful family…….think of the good times, the laughter.. and the fun times… today is a day that heaven got new angels….

• Donna Wallingford says:

My heart aches for you and I have prayed for you. Lost my grandson at 20 and premed at Baylor when came home for Christmas. Home invasion in Siloam Springs. Though my heart still aches God is truly turning the bad into good and I just imagine he greeted your precious daughters. Our prayers continue for you!!!!!!!!

• Robin says:

Amen…. I can not wait for the rapture….. no more suffering… then we all can be together again… God and Jesus LOVES US