Suspected Triple Killer To Be Sent Back To Colorado From Oklahoma

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A suspect in a Colorado arson and murder case, who was arrested Saturday in Roland, Okla., signed an extradition waiver in court on Monday (Dec. 30), meaning he is expected to be sent back to Colorado within 24 hours, officials said.

The U.S. Marshals Service arrested Harry Mapps over the weekend at the Interstate Inn in Roland, Okla., according to the Roland Police Department.

Mapps appeared in court in Sequoyah County, Okla., early Monday to determine whether he will be sent back to Colorado.

After the brief court hearing in Sallisaw, Okla., before Judge Dennis Sprouse, 5NEWS reporter Jocelyne Pruna asked Mapps as he was getting on an elevator in the hallway whether he had anything to say.

Mapps only said, "No, thank you."

Investigators received a tip that Mapps was in the southeast Sequoyah County area. Surveillance of the area by deputy marshals proved Mapps to be in Roland at the motel located on Interstate 40, according to Sequoyah County Sheriff Ron Lockhart.

Mapps, 59, was one of the most sought-after fugitives in the country. He was wanted on charges of first-degree murder in the Nov. 27 shooting deaths of three people, plus arson for a fire where the bodies of the three were found. The murders and fire took place at a residence outside the town of Rye in Pueblo County, Colo., according to a news release.

The hunt for Mapps began after detectives discovered checks bearing the name of one of the victims had been cashed near Rye on the day of the fire. The person who cashed the checks was identified as Mapps, according to a news release.

Deputy marshals tracked Mapps through Colorado, Texas and Oklahoma before arresting him at the motel.

Lockhart said the arrest was a surprise take-down on Mapps as he exited his motel room. Mapps had visible wounds on his right cheek and lips.

"He struggled with officers and they thought he was concealing his hand and feared he may have a firearm, so they took him to the ground with force," Lockhart said.

Mapps was taken to the Sequoyah County Detention Center and held with no bond. He faces charges of three counts of felony first-degree murder, theft, identity theft, forgery and arson. He was also wanted by the U.S. Marshals Service for federal unlawful flight to avoid prosecution, according to a news release.

Pueblo County Sheriff's Office investigators arrived in Sequoyah County on Sunday (Dec. 29) to take Mapps back to Colorado, according to Lisa Shorter with the Pueblo County Sheriff's Office.

Officials said they believe the fire was set at the Rye home to cover up the shootings.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

Reginald Tuttle, 51, Kim Tuttle, 55, and their daughter Dawn Roderick, 33, were all killed. The Tuttles owned the home and Roderick lived in Pueblo.

Mapps was a family friend who had worked for Tuttle’s trucking company and was staying with him, authorities said.

The Roderick family (credit: CBS)

The Roderick family (credit: CBS)

Roderick’s husband Mark Roderick said he was separated from his wife and their children were staying with him the night of the murders. He said his in-laws were loving and caring people, and that he and the children were struggling to deal with the murders, according to Denver CBS4.

Kim Tuttle was a kitchen employee at Parkview Medical Center in Pueblo.

“There will be a lot of people who will breathe easier knowing Harry Carl Mapps is in custody,” Pueblo County Sheriff Kirk M. Taylor said in a prepared statement.


Comments are closed.