Poteau Man Injured While Saving Pets From Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Poteau man was injured while saving his pets from his burning home overnight.

Firefighters said they were called to the engulfed house fire on South Blvd. just after 1:15 Friday morning (Jan. 3).

According to Poteau Fire Chief Jon Pickel, the fire likely started from an electric space heater in the living room. When crews arrived on scene, firefighters said the porch and front rooms of the home were all in flames and neighboring homes were at risk.

The flames spread to a car parked in the driveway. Crews said the home and car appear to be a loss.

Chief Pickel said one man, who was renting the property, was inside the home. He suffered cuts to his hands after breaking a window of the burning home while trying to save his pets. Two dogs and a cat made it out of the house safely.

Neighbors tell 5NEWS the man went to the hospital and received stitches in his wounded hand. They said he is now staying in a local motel.

The landlords said they do have insurance on the home and will be filing a claim Friday.

Donations may be brought to:
Wimp's Barber Shop
2212 1/2 N. Broadway
Poteau, OK 74953


10th Street Auto Trim
1201 N. 10th Street
Fort Smith, AR 72901


  • Susan Brodie

    Space heaters are dangerous if not used properly. You cannot leave them on if not at home, & you can’t put them too close to furniture or walls. The safest ones are the small fan forced heaters, they don’t get hot & the cords don’t get hot. The most dangerous space heaters are the ones with the elements that glow orange, they put out the most heat, but they get hot & the cords get hot, & they can set your home on fire if not used properly. They should not allow those types of heaters to be made because they are too dangerous.

Comments are closed.