Bentonville School Bus Stranded On Snowy Road

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Bentonville Public Schools bus became stranded in Bella Vista early Wednesday (Jan. 8) after sliding off a snowy road.

No injuries were reported in the incident at Newport Circle and Camden Road, said Mary Ley, school district spokeswoman.

The bus was about half full of Cooper Elementary School students when it became stuck, Ley said. Another bus was dispatched to the site to pick up those students and take them to their school in Bella Vista, Ley said.

The empty bus was still at the site about 10 a.m. The district’s buses began rolling at about 4 a.m.

The incident happened on the first day of school in the new year. Students returned to school in the the 2014 calendar year two days later than expected because of snow and ice on the roads following a winter storm this weekend.


  • Karen

    Yes they need to go back to school. Parents can drive them. I live in Bella Vista and drive mine. Are you going to miss work every day we have bad weather. Of course not. School is like work for kids. They still need to go and its our responsibility to help get them there.

  • Gracen

    Yes I think that school should not be in session my kids go to bright field middle school and they are very strict about how many days they can miss so they put them in school when we don’t want them to one day they had limited bus services and we did not let them go to school and we got in trouble

  • Malinda

    This is my son’s bus, and it slid off the road BEFORE it picked him up. It was on the junior high/high school route at the time, not the Cooper route. It is not surprising that the information about the students is erroneous, though, especially with what happened today. Unfortunately, due to a LACK OF COMMUNICATION on the part of BPS, my son stood on the corner of our ice-covered road (Burnham and Lancashire) waiting for this bus to pick him up for OVER AN HOUR! I did get a recorded call, after he’d been standing outside for 20 minutes, that the bus was running 35 minutes late. That was PRIOR TO this wreck, and there was no further communication! If this were the first time this had happened, I might not be quite as upset right now, but it is not the first time. It’s not even the first time THIS SCHOOL YEAR!

Comments are closed.