Police: One Man Killed In Fort Smith Shooting

Posted on: 8:28 pm, January 25, 2014, by , updated on: 11:28pm, January 26, 2014

A deadly Fort Smith shooting is under investigation, police say.

Authorities said they received a call Saturday evening (Jan. 25) regarding a disturbance and possible shots being fired in the area of 3509 Price Circle.

When officers arrived on scene they said it was apparent the victim, 28-year-old Robert Snider, suffered several gunshot wounds.

Authorities said Snider was transported by EMS to Sparks Hospital with life threatening injuries and later died.

Police said witnesses on scene identified, 32-year-old Jonathan Willbourn, as the suspect and provided a vehicle description.

“Officers on the scene were able to quickly develop a possible suspect and a vehicle he was in, so we began looking for that person,” said Sergeant Don Cobb, with the Fort Smith Police Department. “The vehicle was eventually found in the 4100 block of North 55th Street abandoned. The suspect was nowhere around.”

Investigators with the Fort Smith Police Department obtained information regarding a possible location for Willbourn in Mountainburg, Arkansas. Authorities said when they found Willbourn, he peacefully surrendered and was taken into custody.

“Later in the night sometime around 2 a.m. in the morning, Willbourn was eventually found and taken into custody in Crawford County.” Cobb said.

Willbourn is currently being held without bond at the Sebastian County Detention Center on the charge of first-degree murder, police said.

Authorities said the weapon used has not been located and said the incident is still under investigation.

• joesumone says:

First!

• Anon Ymous says:

He died, btw.

• MsGambino says:

This is HOOOORRRIIIBBBLLLEEE!!!!!! We need to do better as a society. Shouldn’t run for a gun at the first sign of trouble. I knew the guy killed, this is completely rediculous. God be with both families.

• whatwhowhere? says:

It would be nice if they gave the address instead of just saying it’s on the North side of town? *rolls eyes*

• BG says:

It was on Price Circle off Mussett

• krystil says:

If u would have read correct it does say “price circle” geez and then wana “roll your eyes, that’s why folks get hurt ladies and gents. Attitudes

• whatwhowhere? says:

They just added the address (EDIT), it happens all the time on this website. So get off your high horse missy.

• Justice says:

Horrible that this happened. Unfortunately not suprising on the north side of fort smith, very bad side of town, and getting worse every year.

• life is not worth living in fts says:

Unfortunately it’s spreading all over this city. I live in a newer neighborhood that was nice at first but now it’s full of hispanics that have at least a dozen people living in the house and the rest of what has moved in is nothing but white trash. You can’t even walk the neighborhood any more because you do not feel safe and their pit bulls they keep to protect their drug dealing will jump on you in a minute. I can’t even sell my house and get out of this stinking city. Unless you are in the $200K plus income range you cannot live in a decent neighborhood.

• Glenn says:

Sadly incidents akin to this one are happening all across the US. Drug use and drug dealing, read ‘thugs’ contributes much to the situation. I feel for those of you who are basically trapped in your neighborhood due to these problems.

• Joyce says:

Good job being judgmental and racist. Be a little more open minded and adapt to your environment. When you live in a city with a population over 80,000 people get in disputes and things happen, hell a shooting can occur in an area with a far less population. Doesn’t sound like you’ll have much luck finding your happy home unless your neighbors fit your image of ideal human beings, whatever that maybe.

• AGT C says:

That’s why I live in Van Buren.

• Senior BesaMiCuloGordo says:

You have Hispanics in your neighborhood? That’s awful. I bet they horrible do Hispanicy things like go to church all the time and take care of their families. Poor you.

This town is dying though. That is a fact. I like what you did with Ray Baker’s slogan, but don’t really completely agree. I think life is worth living pretty much everywhere, but some places are a whole lot better to live than others. Last year there was a Gallup poll where they were looking at the most miserable cities in America and the Fort Smith metro area was right up there at number five or six. The economy is awful here. It’s hard to make a living. I would expect crime rates too go up here if things don’t get a lot better. If I wasn’t a divorced man with joint custody of my children, I would move somewhere that wasn’t dying where life is easier and people are happier, somewhere where it’s easier for a man to work hard and get ahead. I don’t see Fort Smith turning into that kind of place anytime soon.

• Mike Smith says:

I remember here a few years back a guy killed his girlfriend and both of her children and spent the Christmas Holidays with their dead bodies in an Apartment … On the South side of town… So please don’t be all ” Nothing good ever happens on the North side of town ” !!! smdh

• AGT C says:

A gangster shot and killed a man behind Zero Walmart a few years ago and a guy burn his girlfriend to death in a circle drive just off interstate on Jenny Lind rd.Sounds like the Southside is as bad as the Northside.

• Rhonda ridgway says:

Bad things happen on the south side and the east as well….I lived on the north side all my life while in fort Smith and never had anything happen where I was……

• Tyrese says:

Thug life…

• Sarah says:

Where was Justin’s wife when he shot Robert?!?!? From what I’ve read & have been told Justin & his wife went there as a couple to visit Robert & his fiance (I wont use her name on here out of respect for my friend). How did the wife just up & vanish from the story?!?!?!

• Sarah says:

Sorry Jonathan not Justin

• AGT C says:

If you read the story John’s wife was at home and everybody calling it murder well none of us know if it was murder or self defense.The news media has this story all botched up with their speculations and made up versions of the story.I like the way liberals get on here and preach don’t judge but are the biggest judges of peoples lives.John was a very nice man and was always nice and polite to me when I saw him somebody had to threaten him.Oh and to the people who wanna judge these people walk a mile in their shoes I bet you wouldn’t make it very far.

• Amanda says:

All of ya need to keep my brother name out of ya mouth!! Yes he had a bad history but doesnt mean he is a bad guy.. I know my brother for 28 years now.. He been clean for months now.. The whole thing about his kids is a whole different story.. For one how is a father suppose to take care of his kids when the mother of the kids wont let him see them?? What does his kids got to do with Jonathan killing my brother?? Nothing.. My brother kids, his past, friends, or his family dont have anything to do with Jonathan taking another person life PERIOD!! The news and news paper is only getting half of the story.. If you going to judge someone on their past then get the whole story first.. I dont care who u are you dont take someone elses life!! Another what kind of person who waits for them to get in the truck before he kills them?? Really?? He couldnt do it man to man?? He has to be a lil boy and get a gun?? God dont like ugly and Jonathan will pay for kiling my brother!!

• AGT C says:

Judge ye lest ye be judged twice over!!!!He who is without sin may cast the first stone!

• John says:

Crime can happen in any neighborhood. Even houses in gated communities get robbed.

• rich says:

I personally know Johnathan. He is a extremely polite and kind person. That Guy Robert had to really really really mess up for john to handle the situation the way he did. John is a family man not a thug. Anyone that knows him would know he lived to be there for his family. It easy to watch the news and only get half the story. Just sayn

• jess says:

i know robert personally, it doesnt matter what he did theres no reason for that dued to kill him just because they got into an argument. really thats stupid. robert didnt go there with a gun so there was no need forhim to die. And another thing robert is a family person tohe has kids that theycant see no more because he was taken from them for no reason.r.i.p robert youll be missed

• ThugsLife says:

Robert lost custody of his previous children. Robert is not a family man. Never had much to do with his kids.

• amyy says:

& SO WHAT JONATHAN IS A POLITE MAN AN ALL THI… HE KILLED A MAN HE DIDN’T SHOOT JUST ONCE BUT SEVERAL TIMES. AN ROBERT DIDN’T HAVE CUSTODY TOO HIS KIDS BUT HE HAD CHILDREN HE DOESN’T HSVE TO BE A FAMILY MAN TO HAVE HIS OWN KIDS. JONATHAN AIN’T SUCH A GOOD GUY IS HE IF HE RAN FROM THR SCENE AN IF YOUR FRIENDS WITH HIM OR NOT HE IS STILL A MURDER HE DIDN’T HAVE TO TAKE IT THAT FAR BUT HE DID HE KILLED A MAN “”” WITH CHILDREN “””” !!!!!

• Amanda says:

• jess says:

robert never lost custody of his kids he still seen his oldest andthe others he tryed to see them. people just need to let him rest in peace already. and amanda yes there was no reason for him to do wt he did

• Amanda says:

HA HA HA… People really need to get their infor right before dissing my brother!! Mr. Jonathan Willbourn is a felon.. Thats right!! He wont be getting out anytime soon!!

• jess says:

its ok manda all in the end when it comes those peoples judgement day only god will have the say so. people need to stop talking bout robert like that he aint here to defend himself