Fred and Misty Remy woke up Thursday (March 6) morning to sounds of their house on fire.
The Poteau Fire Department responded to a call around 5:30 a.m. this morning (March 6) of a house engulfed in flames.
Fire Chief Jon Pickel said "when we got here about half the home was on fire we made an exterior attack and was able to get it put out."
Pickel said the fire was out in about 15 minutes.
According to Pickel, the fire started in the front of the house. The Remy's were asleep in the back room, when they heard the crackling sound Fred knocked open a window for them to escape.
Pickel said everyone inside the home on Parker Ave. did make it out safely, but the home is a total loss.
A high school classmate of Misty Remy's said hearing someone she knows just lost everything was devastating .
She said, "my heart goes out to her. I've been there, and I just wish there was something we could do. I just want to reach out and give her a hug. It's heartbreaking."
The Poteau resident said five years ago she too had a house fire and could relate to what the Remy's were going through.
"I lost everything, and it was still traumatic, and you don't ever get over something like that. It was hard, said the resident.