Pizza Chain Sbarro Files For Bankruptcy
CNN – The Sbarro pizza restaurant chain filed for bankruptcy court protection Monday, less than three weeks after it was forced to close more than 40% of its U.S. locations.
In a statement Monday the chain said the bankruptcy filing is a pre-packaged plan, which means that it has already agreed on a reorganization plan with creditors that hold 98% of the company’s debt. That should allow it to quickly shed an estimated $140 million in debt, and emerge from bankruptcy as a healthier company.
It is the second bankruptcy filing in less than three years by the chain, which previously filed for bankruptcy in April 2011.
In February the company announced it was closing 155 company-owned restaurants in the United States, effective immediately. That left it with 220 U.S. locations and more than 600 other locations owned by franchise operators in 40 different countries.
Sbarro is best known for locations in airports, malls, train stations and highway rest stops — high traffic locations with limited direct competition from other pizza chains. It also has only a fraction of the advertising budget of competitors such as Domino’s Pizza, Papa John’s, or Yum Brands’ Pizza Hut.
The closing announcement was one of many mass store closing announcements so far this year. Earlier this month electronics retailer Radio Shack announced plans to shut up to 1,100 stores, and office supply retailer Staples said it would shut 225 stores. Department store chain J.C. Penney announced plans in January to close 33 stores, while Macy’s announced it would shut 5 stores and lay off 2,500 in a cost-cutting effort.
The closely-held company is based in Melville, N.Y.