Thousands Expected To Run In Saturday’s Race For The Cure

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The 16th annual Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure takes place Saturday (April 26) in Rogers with both competitive races and fun events on the schedule.

Race director Mary Alfrey said there is something for everyone to enjoy. She said there will be a one mile walk, a 5-kilometer walk/run, a 10-kilometer run, a dog walk and a family walk.

She said almost every person she meets at the races has a personal connection to breast cancer. Proceeds from Komen races go toward the fight against breast cancer.

"One in eight women will be diagnosed in their lifetime," Alfrey said.

She also said that 200,000 women and 2,000 men are diagnosed each year.

Alfrey became executive director for the Ozark branch in April of 2013. She said at the time, her sister and friend were both battling the disease.

Alfrey said in September of 2013, her drive to organize this year's race in Rogers became even more personal.

Alfrey was diagnosed with breast cancer six months ago and said Thursday that she just finished an 18-week round of radiation therapy. She said she hopes her next visit to the doctor will be to find out she's in remission.

She said the event she will be looking forward to the most Saturday is the survivor parade.

"If you have not seen that, it's so inspirational to see that sea of pink, and then have the race kick off right after that to have the thousands out there supporting them," Alfrey said.

She said last year, around 10,000 people participated, but this year, organizers are hoping for more.

"It's so important for people to register and get involved. We have a goal to reach 12,000 people," Alfrey said.

As of Thursday evening, she said organizers had a little under 8,000 participants registered.

In 2013, the race raisedĀ  $750,000 for the cure.

Alfrey said 75 percent of the money stays in Northwest Arkansas to be dispersed between 12 different agencies in 10 counties to help those affected. She said the other 25 percent goes to the national fund to find a cure for breast cancer.

Alfrey said this year's goal is to reach the $875,000 mark.

She said the Race For The Cure office at the Pinnacle Hills Promenade in Rogers will be open Friday for people to come and register from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. or later, as well as Saturday at 6 a.m. for people who want to register late for an additional fee.

More information about Saturday's eventsĀ  as well as a link to register online can be found here.