Clarksville Hotel Evacuated And School Buses Rerouted After Chemicals Mix

Photo courtesy: Google Maps.

Photo courtesy: Google Maps.

CLARKSVILLE (KFSM) – A hotel in Clarksville was evacuated, and school buses were rerouted on Friday afternoon (Aug. 22) due to cleaning chemicals mixing at the Holiday Inn, police say.

At approximately 2:30 p.m. today, police responded to a report of a strong chemical smell at the Holiday Inn at 2502 W. Clark Rd. In total, responding to the smell were Clarksville police, Clarksville firemen, Johnson County Emergency Management and Johnson County ambulance personnel. They all encountered a strong chemical smell on the second floor of the hotel, according to police.

To make sure that school children, staff and parents traveling on West Clark Road didn’t have a chance of the fumes reaching them, the road was shut down for 30 minutes, police said.

The staff and guests of the hotel were evacuated safely, and school buses that use West Clark Road were rerouted, according to police.

An investigation was conducted, and investigators concluded that the smell originated from two cleaning chemicals that accidentally mixed, police said.

Hotel staff were able to enter the hotel once again at 3:30 p.m. to air it out for the return of their guests. The closed road was reopened as well, according to police.



Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 471 other followers