If life is just a bowl of cherries, then today is a good day for it. August 28th, 2014 marks “National Cherry Turnover Day.” The sweet pastry starts with dough topped with cherry filling, then folded over, sealed, and either baked or fried. Some recipes even call for a nice sugar glaze to be drizzled on top.
Here are a few fun cherry facts for you from Top Food Facts:
1. The word ‘cherry’ comes from the Turkish town of Cerasus.
2. Cherries belong to the rose family.
3. Canada holds the record for baking the biggest cherry pie in the world. A pie weighing 39,683 pounds was baked in Oliver, British Columbia which broke the record that was earlier held by Traverse City.
4. Once upon a time, serving ice cream on cherry pie in Kansas was prohibited.
5. The world record for spitting a cherry pip is 93ft 6.5in, set by Rick Krause of Michigan in 2003.