Gas Leak Near U Of A Student Union Repaired
FAYETTEVILLE (KFSM) – The gas leak that was reported near the University of Arkansas Student Union on Friday morning (Sept. 19) has been repaired, a spokesman for SourceGas said.
One of the results of the gas leak was the temporary closure of Burger King, Papa Johns and The Wok at the Arkansas Union. Those restaurants are now reopened, the SourceGas spokesman said.
The leak was reported just before 10 a.m., and gas was shut off.
Crews were working on a multimillion-dollar renovation to the old field house, transforming it into a new performing arts center, and they needed to move some gas and power lines to continue their work, according to Mark Rushing, university spokesman.
When the lines were moved, the gas leak occurred, and it was quickly detected. Once the repairs started, crews needed an hour to finish the job.
Since the leak was detected quickly and the gas was shut off, students were not evacuated from the union. Other restaurants in the union that don’t rely on the gas line were open for lunch, Rushing said.
Rushing said the gas leak does not pose a public threat.