FORT SMITH (KFSM) The third and final suspect in a Fort Smith deadly shooting incident from over the weekend (Sept. 27) was arrested on Wednesday (Oct. 1), according to a news release.
The third suspect was a 16-year-old Hispanic male, and he was taken into custody on a warrant issued on suspicion of first-degree domestic battery, the release states.
He was found in an apartment complex in the 900 block of North Albert Pike Avenue, according to the release.
The two other suspects were arrested on Tuesday (Sept. 30), according to police.
Diego Salazar, 22, and an unidentified 15-year-old male were the other two suspects arrested and questioned by police in connection with the shooting Saturday (Sept. 27) that left a man named Chris Morris dead and another man in the hospital, police said.
The police department’s Street Crimes Unit set up surveillance at Salazar’s house on North 38th Street, and a SWAT team later raided the home and arrested Salazar without incident, police said. Shortly after Salazar was arrested, one of the 15-year-old suspects turned himself in to the police while accompanied by his father, police said.
Fort Smith police said the shooting occurred following a fight involving five people. A neighbor told 5NEWS she heard five or six gunshots ring out from the home.
Two of the men involved in the shooting were brothers, according to reports. One brother went inside of the home to retrieve a shotgun. During a struggle between Morris and one of the suspects, another suspect used an unknown caliber handgun to shoot Morris and his brother, Herbert, according to Sgt. Daniel Grubbs.
The three suspects then left the site with the unknown caliber handgun and the shotgun.
Family friend John Worst said the shooting may have stemmed from a problem between family members from earlier in the day.
The family said Morris’ brother, Herbert, who was injured, is in stable condition and is expected to survive.