Space Heater Safety Tips

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ROGERS (KFSM) - Fire officials said a space heater is to blame for a house catching fire Friday (Jan. 9) in Pea Ridge. They said they respond to several fires a year because people improperly use space heaters.

Rogers Fire Captain Dennis Thurman said these incidents can be avoided by following a few guidelines:

  • Don't put any flammable objects within three feet of a space heater.
  • Don't leave a space heater on while you're sleeping or when you leave the house.
  • Check to make the chord isn't frayed.
  • Plug the space heater directly into a wall, not into an extension cord.

Thurman said it's also important not to use a space heater as a dryer.

"Just to walk in and throw your cold socks on them is dangerous ,you know that can cause your whole house to burn down," Thurman said.

He said people should check the make, model and year of their space heater. Thurman said newer models have tilt technology, where if the heater is knocked over, it will automatically turn off.

No injuries were reported in the Pea Ridge fire on Patton Street. Officials said four people and 16 dogs made it out without injury. They said the fire started in the master bedroom where an older model space heater fell over.

3 comments

    • Lucy

      Seriously? You think something electric produces carbon monoxide? What’s the whole point of an electric car? LOL wow.

      • Kelly Black

        Some space heaters are oil based. Some run on kerosene. Plumbers use the big kerosenes heaters to thaw frozen pipes under your house.

        Also space heaters are the second most blamed cause of deadly fires.

Comments are closed.