Cigarettes Start Three Springdale Business Fires Causing $200,000 In Damage

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
More bad news for smokers and one more reason to quit.

SPRINGDALE (KFSM) — Improperly discarded cigarettes caused three recent structure fires in Springdale.

The three fires caused nearly $200,000 worth of damage, according to a city press release. Luckily, no one was killed in the fires.

The first fire was reported around 4 p.m. on March 22 at the Holiday Inn, located at 1500 S. 48th St. That fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damage.

The second fire occurred at the Marketplace Grill on 1636 South 48th St. around 4 p.m. on March 29. This was the costliest fire, causing an estimated $100,000 in damage.

The last fire was reported around 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday (April 5) at Fairfield Inn at 1043 Rieff St.  This fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage.

“These fires occurred when lit cigarettes were thrown into the mulch that surrounded the businesses,” said Springdale fire chief Mike Irwin. “All three of the fires started when we had strong winds, which aided in the spread of the flames.”