Memorial Day is the unofficial start to summer, which means it's grilling season!
Sam's Club stopped by 5NEWS over the weekend to share some grilling tips that could come in handy for a lot of folks.
When summer comes around we all love firing up the grill. And as much as we love a good ol’ hamburger, you really can grill just about anything.
- Starting with your appetizers… Grilled romaine hearts with Caesar vinaigrette. Season with olive oil, lemon, pepper and garlic, then grill for about 6 minutes until it begins to char. You can grill fresh chicken breasts with it and make it the perfect meal.
- For dessert, grilled pineapple drizzled in honey & cinnamon with a little caramelization from the grill… they are fantastic! Soft, tender & sweet!
Everyone loves a good life hack..especially when it comes to dealing with delicious food!
- If you don’t have a thermometer handy while grilling… don’t worry… you can actually tell how well your steak is cooked by using your thumb.
- If you touch the large base of your thumb while your hand is relaxed, that should feel the same as a raw steak. If you put your thumb and index finger together, it should feel like a rare steak; thumb to middle finger should feel medium rare; thumb to ring finger should be medium; and thumb to pinky should feel well-done
- Everyone loves a grilled hot dog, but impress your guests by spiraling them before you cook them.
- Not only will you end up with the perfectly-cooked hot dog with a crisp exterior and well-done, juicy interior, but it helps hold the condiments in the bun better.
And when it comes to some favorite summer recipes, we've got some unique ideas to try.
- One favorite summer recipe that’s lighter and healthier is grilled citrus salmon.
- Fresh salmon fillets are easy to prepare… and a delicious citrus mixture to baste your salmon with while on the grill.
- A good tip when cooking fish is to place the fish on a bed of lemon slices while grilling. Not only will the fish not stick to your grill, you’re adding some extra flavor.
And what's the best way to make sure your grill is ready for the season?
- As you prepare for your cookout don’t forget to check the level of your propane! There is nothing worse than running out of gas in the middle of cooking dinner!
- A simple trick is to pour hot water down the side of the propane tank. Where there’s propane, it will feel cold; where it’s empty, it will feel warm.
- Clean your grill every time you use it!
- The best time to clean your grill is when it’s still warm.
- No grill brush? No problem! Just use aluminum foil.
- Crumple the aluminum foil into a ball and grab with a pair of tongs. Then start scrubbing.
- Don’t forget to clean underneath the hood of your grill.
- To do this quickly cut an onion in half, and stick it with your tongs. Scrub away and you’ll be good to go for your next cookout.
We would like to thank Spencer and Colt from Sam's Club for grilling with us!
Everything on our grilling segment was provided by SAM'S CLUB.