FAYETTEVILLE (KFSM) -- The first home Razorback football game is this weekend (Sept. 3) and some new security measures have been implemented at the stadium.
Fans going to the games should not notice anything different, police said, but the number of security cameras has been doubled and the number of spotters has been increased.
Some fans said they have always felt safe at the games, but think added security is a good thing.
"It’s more eyes in different places, you know being able to make sure that everyone is doing what they’re supposed to be doing and not causing any issues for people who are just there wanting to a fun time," Hanan Southard said. "It just makes the entire experience more enjoyable if you can count on the people who are working to keep you safe."
Logan Parks agreesd.
"I think it makes me feel better with everything that’s gone on recently," Parks said. "Overall just feeling more safe being in a public place."
University of Arkansas Police Department Cpt. Gary Crain said it would be nice if security measures did not have to be so thorough, but his department continues to keep safety as a top priority.
"We want to ensure that fans can come and enjoy the game and be safe, as safe as possible and be able to be notified if something happens," he said.
Crain also said the police command center was renovated over the summer. It includes resources for emergency responders and dispatchers, as well as camera monitors. He said anytime there are a large number of people in one place you always need to be prepared for anything.
"Actions have to be taken to keep people safe, and you have to prepare for that in advance," he said.
Here is a list of items that are permitted and prohibited at Razorback Stadium:
- Purses 14”x10”x10” or smaller
- Cameras with a 6” lens or less
- Service animals with identification
- Carried rain gear, blankets or coats
- Stadium seats without armrests and less than 16” wide
- Pre-approved signs of poster board size or less
- Wheelchairs for ADA ticket holders
- Alcoholic beverages
- Baby seats/baby strollers
- Bags of all types, except when used for medical or childcare needs
- Beach Balls, inflatable toys or laser pointers
- Coolers, containers or ice chests
- Explosives, guns, knives or weapons
- Folding chairs or stools
- Food and beverages
- Noisemakers of any type (i.e. bells, horns, whistles, etc.)
- Personal heaters
- Re-Entry (per SEC policy)
- Tobacco of any kind including e-cigarettes
- Video cameras
- Selfie Sticks