Johnson County Deputy Accused Of Sexual Assault Released From Jail On Bond

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

JOHNSON COUNTY (KFSM) — A deputy employed at Johnson County Sheriff’s Office was arrested Monday (Nov. 28) on suspicion of third-degree sexual assault, and has since been released from the Pope County Detention Center.

Robert Retford, 55, was released from jail about 3 p.m., Tuesday, according to the Pope County Sheriff’s Office.

David Gibbons Pope County prosecuting attorney said Retford was appointed a public defender during a hearing Tuesday morning. He was released on a $5,000 bond, has to surrender his passport, and isn’t allowed to go near the woman he reportedly assaulted.

Retford is set to appear in court Jan. 6, to enter his plea, and a new trial date will be set, Gibbons said.

His arrest stems from a matter that was reported Sept. 10, according to police.

A woman, who Retford met while responding to a disturbance call, told investigators Retford had offered to help her, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Retford paid for a night stay at a Clarksville motel for the woman. He left his contact information and told her to call if she needed anything.

On Sept. 11,  Retford gave the woman a ride to a house in Lamar. While in the car, the two kissed. Allegedly, the two also touched each other in a sexual manor, according to the affidavit.

The woman told police Retford bribed her by purchasing miscellaneous items for her and telling her he would continue to help her, but she’d have to give him favors in return,  according to the affidavit.

While at the house in Lamar,  Retford, who was in his uniform at the time, threatened to kill the woman and put her family members in jail if she didn’t obey his commands, the affidavit states.

After, Retford reportedly raped her with an object and then urinated on her, according to the affidavit.

During an interview, Retford told investigators that the sexual acts between the two were consensual, according to police.