Family Escapes House Fire In Fort Smith

FORT SMITH (KFSM )–  Fire crews responded to a fire at 822 N. 13th Street in Fort Smith on Thursday morning (Jan. 18).

The family who lived there were sleeping in the home when the fire began around 3:30 a.m. One of the children woke up and alerted the rest of the family of the fire. They were able to escape and no one was injured.

Pipes had recently froze in the house and the family had been using the fireplace to warm the home.

Firefighters say the fire began in the chimney and spread to the rest of the house. The house sustained damage, but was not considered a total loss.

Stay with 5NEWS as we continue to follow this developing story.