Recent Articles
  • nwacc

    Rogers High School Students To Earn College Degrees

    ROGERS (KFSM)– Juniors and seniors in the Rogers School District may now be able to graduate with their high school diploma, as well as an associate degree, when they finish high school. The program is called “Early College Experience,” and students will be able to enroll starting in fall 2016. Senior Hannah Katt is currently taking classes at Northwest Arkansas Community College, but she hasn’t had a set program to earn a degree. “A lot of my friends and a lot […]

  • Public Art Fund Now Available In Fayetteville

    FAYETTEVILLE (KFSM)– The city of Fayetteville has set aside $100,000 for local artists to create public art. The funding is handled by the Advertising & Promotion commission, which is responsible for tourism. Chairman Matthew Petty said this is the first year this type of funding will be available to artists. “Art inspires us and is something that makes life worth living,” Petty said. “It makes Fayetteville a place worth living in.” He said the money can go toward any kind […]

  • steele

    Large Housing Complex, Brewery Coming To North Fayetteville

    FAYETTEVILLE (KFSM)– Northern Fayetteville is growing in both retail and residential areas near the Northwest Arkansas Mall. Since January, several large developments have broken ground on Steele Boulevard. City planning director Andrew Garner said two 300-unit apartment complexes and a bank are in the works. “You have a big employment center at the mall and the hospital,” Garner said.  “You’re also starting to get some housing to support the young professionals who work in those areas, so I think it is […]

  • Springdale Students Create Tribute To Marshall Islands

    SPRINGDALE (KFSM)– A 100-foot mural created by Springdale middle school students was recently completed, depicting the culture of the Marshall Islands. School officials said around 2800 Marshallese students attend Springdale schools. The mural was created by seventh grade students at Helen Tyson Middle School. “Every day I came to work thinking I have a 90% chance that this is not going to work, and about a 10% chance of success,” Art Teacher Lori West said. “But they far exceeded my […]

  • Local World War II Veteran Honored In Front-Yard Ceremony

    ELKINS (KFSM)– A World War II veteran was honored Saturday (Jan. 30) in a front-yard ceremony in rural Washington County. Army veteran Wayne “Slim” Reed served in the Philippines as a radar operator. His daughter Terri Shaw said when he died of an illness in November 2015, she decided to do something special. “I contacted the VA and they said that you could contact your local post office and get a flag,” Shaw said. ” And I just thought as […]

  • Local Party Leaders Explain Impact Of Trump’s Visit

    NORTHWEST ARKANSAS (KFSM)– Presidential hopeful Donald Trump is set to visit the Natural State on Wednesday (Feb. 3). Trump previously visited Hot Springs in July 2014. Tyler Clark with the Washington County Democratic Party said the Natural State has been attracting big political names like Trump because of the earlier-than-usual primary. “We’re part of the super Tuesday sweep with about 10 states that will have primaries on March 1,” Clark said. “So we’ll see a lot more presidential candidates come […]

  • State Registry Could Protect Unmarried Fathers’ Rights

    BENTON COUNTY (KFSM) — A father in Missouri is fighting for the right to see his three-year-old daughter, after he said she was adopted by a family in Northwest Arkansas without his knowledge. A simple piece of paper, a form for the Arkansas Putative Father Registry, could have made Chris Reynolds’ legal battle easier. For no charge, unmarried fathers can register with the Arkansas Department of Health, to make sure they’re notified if their child is going to be adopted. […]

  • Habitat For Humanity Builds First Multi-Family Home

    FAYETTEVILLE (KFSM)– Habitat for Humanity of Washington County is breaking ground on its first two-family house next week. The groundbreaking will happen Feb. 2 at the location of the future home on West Street. “We tried to raise the bar for a few years now and what people normally think of as a ‘Habitat home’ and breaking that mold,” Director Jason Kindall said. “I think we’re there and this is another step in that direction.” Kindall said the new townhouse will be […]

  • Volunteers Pick Up Wreaths At Fayetteville National Cemetery

    FAYETTEVILLE (KFSM)– Wreaths have been laying on thousands of veterans’ graves at the Fayetteville National Cemetery since December, and on Saturday (Jan. 23), volunteers helped pick them all up. Jason Gremard is a retired Army specialist. He and his stepson Jackson volunteered their time. “It really warms my heart, my eyes are filling up to see the community come together at a time to do something like this,” Gremard said. Over 9,000 graves had the green wreaths and red ribbons […]

  • Hunters Hit The Woods In Benefit Squirrel Hunt

    BENTON COUNTY (KFSM)– A benefit squirrel hunt was held Saturday (Jan. 23) in Benton County in honor of a local marine who was killed in Afghanistan in 2010. Teams of two took to the woods for the annual Wings For Our Troops hunt. Matt Sooter participated for the second time and said he enjoys just being out in nature. “If you find some squirrels great, if not then you’re outside, you got to hang out and get some exercise and […]

  • wade2

    Saturday Squirrel Hunt To Honor Local Marine Killed In Action

    ROGERS (KFSM)– A squirrel hunt is being held Saturday (Jan. 23) at the Benton County fairgrounds in honor of a local marine killed in Afghanistan in 2010. The organization “Wings For Our Troops” is hosting the event. The non-profit was founded by Cpl. Chad Wade’s parents shortly after he died. Wade was killed by an improvised explosive device only five weeks into his deployment. “I can’t imagine him doing anything else,” His mother Tami Boyett said. “Even with the outcome what […]

  • Professor, Independent Candidate Weigh In On Partisan Sheriff Races

    BENTON COUNTY (KFSM) — After Thursday night’s (Jan. 14) public forum with the Republican Benton County sheriff candidates, the question was raised about why sheriff’s races are partisan. Janine Parry, a University of Arkansas political science professor, said there is a simple answer to that question. “The reality is that a great majority of states, 40 of them right now, sheriffs are elected on partisan ballots,” Parry said. ” And that’s how it has happened since the beginning of statehood […]

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,004 other followers