Fort Smith Veteran’s Home a Total Loss

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

An American flag is one of the few belongings left in Rickey Harlon’s house in Fort Smith.

The fire at the home on 12th Street between C and D streets was accidental and caused by cooking, officials said.

Harlon, a Vietnam veteran, said he was cooking dinner on the stove and had stepped out of the kitchen when Saturday’s fire started.

The blaze spread to the attic, causing the roof to collapse. The home is a total loss.

Harlon and his dog are okay, though.

An American flag on Harlon’s porch is one of the few items that wasn’t destroyed.