School Board Accepts Arrested Principal’s Resignation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The Farmington School Board voted unanimously Tuesday to accept the resignation of high school principal Chris Webb.

“From this day on we’re moving forward,” said Jeff Oxford, President of the Farmington School Board.

“We just hope that there can be some healing for everybody,” said Bryan Law, Farmington Superintendent of Schools.

The five-member board went into a closed-door executive session to discuss Webb’s employment with the district. Webb notified the school district of his resignation Monday after administrators announced the school board would decide whether to keep Webb on staff at Farmington High School.

“Everything has happened so quickly,” said Law.

Officers found Webb bloody and naked last Thursday in his home. A police report said Webb had Shannon Shrum, the house’s co-owner, in a choke hold and his thumb in her eye. A dead dog was found in an upstairs bathroom with its throat slit, and police found a knife on the floor, according to the report.

Police responded to a disturbance call at 12:13 a.m. on July 19 after a child dialed 911. When officers entered the residence, they saw blood on the floor, walls and stairs, the police report stated.

“My thoughts and prayers go out to everybody that this is affecting,” said Oxford.

Superintendent Bryan Law released the following statement late Monday afternoon announcing Webb’s resignation: “At approximately 4:15 today, I received the resignation of Christopher Webb as Farmington High School Principal. The Board of Education will act on this resignation tomorrow night at 6:00 P.M. during our regularly scheduled board meeting. There will be no further comment from the school district or board members regarding this matter.”

Law says an assistant principal at the high school with continue to handle day to day operations on campus for now. “Our real important part is out here in these classrooms and nothing’s changed there, so we’re gone be alright,” said Oxford.

The school board says it could take some time before the district fills Webb’s position permanently. “Our goal is to be the best school district in the state and we’re not gonna rush into anything,” said Oxford.

“It might be a few days before final decisions are made,” said Law.

Webb has worked in the school district for four years without any problems, Law said.

Webb was arrested in connection with aggravated assault, domestic battery, endangering the welfare of a minor and aggravated animal cruelty.

Webb remains in an undisclosed hospital and will be booked at the Washington County Detention Center upon his release, said Denis Dean, Washington County deputy prosecutor.

Dean said Shrum is “doing fine” and keeping a low profile. She was not hospitalized.