Dryer Lint Causes Fort Smith House Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Fort Smith family evacuated their home Wednesday after a clothes dryer caused a house fire.

Melissa Hannon, her mother and her son were watching a movie in their home at 3 Sylvan Hills Street when they heard a loud boom and smelled smoke. Lightning had struck a tree in the front yard.

At the same time, trapped lint in a dryer hose sparked a fire in the house. Capt. Bob Bennett with the Fort Smith Fire Department said the timing was a coincidence.

The family originally thought the fire was started by the lightning strike and traveled along an electrical line before spreading to the house.

Fire crews responded to the call at 5:20 p.m. Hannon said her family may be able to salvage some of their belongings, but extensive electrical damage has rendered the house unlivable.

Hannon and her family will stay with relatives or family.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.