Fire Sparks as Homeowner Prepares to Mow Yard

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Fort Smith home suffered about $40,000 worth of damage Wednesday afternoon during a fire, according to Battalion Chief Chris Scherff.

The fire on at the home on Martin Drive started around 12:45 p.m., the chief said.

He said the fire started when homeowner was filing lawnmower with gas in the garage too close to the water heater.

David Elmore, the homeowner, took himself to the hospital for treatment for flash burns to his arms, according to Chief Scherff.

The fire spread from garage to house. It took firefighters about 30 minutes to put out the flames, Chief Scherff estimated.

Photos courtesy Ricky Smith