After an abysmal September, perhaps the worst month in the history of the program, Arkansas has turned October around with two straight wins and a chance to salvage the season by making a bowl game. The Hogs are off this week, maybe at the right time. Injuries linger in just about every unit on the team.
Arkansas is using this week off to re-evaluate their personnel and to refocus their energy on the crucial upcoming stretch.
At 3-4 Arkansas needs three more wins to make a bowl game. The next two games become must-win scenarios. After the bye the Hogs host Ole Miss at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock. Then they host Tulsa in Fayetteville.
The offense spoke with the media after practice Tuesday to talk about what they want to accomplish on their week off.
Offensive Coordinator Paul Petrino:
- In order to try and keep the momentum going, the Hogs will have to practice with intensity and focus. Petrino believes the biggest difference in the past two games is they haven't hurt themselves.
- Players all around are getting better and improving. Less sacks by the O-line, more receivers catching balls and he’s pleased to see the team improving as the year goes on.
- Coach feels the freshman have done a good job being thrown into the spotlight. He believes the freshman class could be something great.
Wide Receiver Cobi Hamilton:
- The time off will be good to rest their bodies and study film to work on the little mistakes from past games.
- Hamilton feels they can keep up the momentum, just need to practice hard and be focused.
Quarterback Tyler Wilson:
- The team needs to focus on the goals they set for each week and work hard to accomplish them. If they can do that the wins will come and pile on.
- The team needs to use this time off to get better as a team more so than individually, their biggest obstacle is themselves.
- In order to keep momentum they need to have really good practices. Tuesday’s practice wasn't the best and Wilson knows that will have to improve.
Offensive Guard Alvin Bailey
- If the Hogs want to keep winning and keep this momentum then they will need to be focused and practice harder.
- Especially this week, improvement is key, in order to make the team better. This week’s opponent is themselves.