Cedarville Home Destroyed By Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Cedarville home is a total loss after a fire Sunday evening, said Crawford County Fire Chief Andy Jones.

Volunteer firefighters from Districts 4 and 5 were called to the scene after the homeowner called to report a fire that started in a fireplace at approximately 6:30 p.m.

"They had put a chimney-sweeping log in the fireplace," Chief Jones said. "That's when they started to think something was burning. The husband came out to look around, and that's when he saw his wall was on fire."

The homeowner, his wife and their children were able to escape the house safely.

"This was very unfortunate," Chief Jones said. "Gratefully, everyone got out of the house okay. Everybody is not hurt. Emotionally they are. Physically they're okay."

Firefighters said the house was fully engulfed with flames when they arrived.

"They did the right thing by just getting out," Chief Jones said.

The fire department is contacting Red Cross to help the family recover.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.