Arkansas travels to South Carolina Saturday for an 11am start here on 5NEWS. Though South Carolina's best player running back Marcus Lattimore is out for the year, the Hogs still expect a heavy dose of the running game.Plus, Arkansas will start two freshmen at linebacker because of the suspension of Terrell Williams.
Here are the thoughts from the defense after Wednesday's practice:
Defensive Coordinator Paul Haynes:
- The freshman linebackers have come in and Haynes knows they have a lot to learn but they are instinctive and are doing what they want.
- The two freshman linebackers have been studying all day and are very eager to go out and play.
- Even without Lattimore, South Carolina has very good backs who will lower their shoulder and make plays for them.
- Haynes believes the defense is still getting better, their mindset is right and they are working hard. Obviously there are things to be worked out but hes glad to see improvement.
Safety Ross Rasner:
- Rasner remembers being a freshman and has extended his help and knowledge to the others on the team.
Defensive End Trey Flowers:
- The running game of South Carolina is very solid and the Quarterback is always a threat. They will have to be focused
- The freshman Linebackers are doing good and with such an experienced defensive line they help them out during the game and practice.
Defensive Tackle Alfred Davis:
- Conner Shaw of South Carolina poses a good passing threat and with his feet. They will have to contain him and not let him get away.